As consumer representatives, we invite you to help us test a simpler and more informative approach to patient consent.
NSW Health Pathology and the Office for Health and Medical Research are working to create a new plain language Consent Toolkit for NSW Health.
The toolkit is designed to support:
- doctors, researchers and healthcare professionals to have more informed conversations with patients about donating samples for future medical research.
- participants and patients with resources that will help them to make an informed decision about their participation in future health and medical research.
We will also deliver a suite of materials that will help participants to even better understand the benefits and possible risks of their participation in future health and medical research. This will include more information on our website, which we have included in the materials below. It will also include posters, leaflets and films, which will be released in the second half of 2019.
We are now at a stage in the project that we require meaningful insights from patients, research participants and advocates to help shape and test our materials.
HOW YOU CAN GET INVOLVED
- Review the consent materials
- Participant Information Sheet
- Adult Consent Form
- Child Consent Form (0-14)
- Child Consent Form (14+)
- FAQs and additional website information
2. Provide your feedback via our survey
We have created a brief survey that asks you about your understanding of the consent materials, motivations and any concerns you might have if you were provided with these materials for consenting to donate samples for medical research.
Please click HERE to complete the survey.
It will take you approximately 8 minutes to complete.
We could be grateful if you could complete it by Friday 21st June.
3. Attend a NSW Health Consent Toolkit Consumer Forum
We are hosting a face-to-face consumer forum and would love to you be part of this.
NSW Ministry of Health
Level 8, 100 Christie Street, St Leonards
Monday 24 June, 2-4pm.
Please click HERE for the invitation and confirm your attendance by Friday 21st July
Thank you in advance for your time and for sharing your valuable input. If you have any questions about the process, please contact:
Policy Officer, NSW Ministry of Health