The NSW Health Statewide Biobank website is maintained by NSW Health Pathology. This Privacy Statement applies to all the accessible pages on the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website at www.biobank.health.nsw.gov.au. NSW Health Pathology does not have any responsibility for the privacy policies or practices of third party sites linked to the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website. If you have any questions about this website, or the application of this Privacy Statement or a request for access to information held please contact:
NSW Health Pathology
PO Box 846 Newcastle NSW 2300
Tel: 02 4920 4000
Users of the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website are entitled to expect that any information as a result of that use will be treated within the terms of the NSW government’s privacy responsibilities and obligations. The NSW Government’s privacy practices are regulated by the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988.
What information do we collect?
When you look at the pages on the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website, our computers automatically record information that identifies, for each page accessed:
- the IP (Internet Protocol) address of the machine which has accessed it;
- your top-level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .edu, .au, .uk etc.);
- the address of your server;
- the date and time of your visit to the site;
- the pages accessed and documents downloaded;
- the previous site visited; and the type of browser and operating system you have used
How do we use the information collected?
The information collected during each visit is aggregated with similar logged information and published in reports in order for the NSW Health Pathology to identify patterns of usage of the site. This will assist us in improving the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website and the services it offers.
NSW Health Pathology will not disclose or publish information that identifies individual machines, or potentially identifies sub-groupings of addresses, without consent or otherwise in accordance with the NSW Privacy and Personal Information Protection Act 1988.
What exceptions are there to this rule?
NSW Health Pathology will collect, use and disclose more extensive information than stated above in the following circumstances:
- unauthorised attempts to access files which are not published NSW Health Pathology pages;
- unauthorised tampering or interference with files published on the NSW Health Pathology site;
- unauthorised attempts to index the contents of the NSW Health Pathology site by other sites;
- attempts to intercept messages of other users of the NSW Health Pathology site;
- communications which are defamatory, abusive, vilify individuals or groups or which give rise to a suspicion that an offence is being committed; and
- attempts to otherwise compromise the security of the web server, breach the laws of the State of NSW or Commonwealth of Australia, or interfere with the enjoyment of the NSW Health Pathology site by other users.
NSW Health Pathology reserves the right to make disclosures to relevant authorities where the use of the NSW Health Statewide Biobank website raises a suspicion that an offence is being, or has been, committed. In the event of an investigation, NSW Health Pathology will provide access to data to any law enforcement agency that may exercise a warrant to inspect our logs.
Is the information stored securely?
Yes. Information collected is stored in an appropriately secure format and held by NSW Health Pathology for archival purposes. When the information is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected, it is deleted.
Will this statement be updated over time?
Due to the developing nature of privacy principles for online communication, this policy may be modified or expanded in light of new developments or issues that may arise from time to time. The amended statement will be posted to this site and will operate from the time it is posted.
Privacy of patient information
NSW Health Pathology is committed to safeguarding the privacy of patient information, and has implemented measures to comply with its obligations under the Health Records and Information Privacy Act 2002.
If you have a general privacy enquiry or complaint regarding NSW Health Pathology or the NSW Statewide Biobank, please contact:
NSW Health Pathology
PO Box 846
Newcastle NSW 2300
Tel: 02 4920 4000