Excellence and expertise in biobanking
The NSW Health Statewide Biobank exists to support and enable world-class health and medical research in NSW.
Our skilled and dedicated team provide a range of services to support all facets of biospecimen research, from project start up and sample collection, to processing, storage, data-linkage and access.
We provide a pathway to better research that leads to better treatment for the people of NSW.
First and largest biobank of its kind in Australia
A world-class facility to revolutionise health and medical research:
- Large-scale technology to store and process over three million samples of human tissue, blood, DNA and tumour cells.
- Unique support for large-scale population studies to help track health trends across the state and disease-specific studies, such as cancer, heart disease, dementia, diabetes and rare diseases.
- Highly sophisticated equipment to reduce the time it takes to manage and retrieve samples, and speed up the time it takes to get discoveries from the lab to patients.
- State-of-the-art, temperature-controlled storage systems to protect the long-term integrity of samples; vital for studies lasting 10 years or more.
Greater, simpler and more cost-effective participation in biospecimen research
Our services are designed to enrich your research projects, clinical trials or biospecimen collections.
We provide a range of services, including:
- Project design and start up
- Sample collection at sites across NSW
- Transport, processing, storage and access
- Data linkage via the CHeReL
We enable cost effective, rapid research and ultimately improvements for the people of NSW.
The statewide biobanking framework
This framework helps to ensure NSW has a world-class, sustainable approach to managing human biobanks and the specimens they house.
We support the NSW biobanking community with a wide range of educational, operational, research and best practice tools, including:
- NSW Biobank Certification Program
- NSW Health Consent Toolkit
- Standard procedures and agreements
- NSW Biobank support and collaboration
Want to know more?
Sign up to our eNewsletter updates to get the latest biobank news and information.