Standard operating procedures (SOPs) are an essential part of a biobank quality management system.
They provide an important framework for conducting basic operations for each biobank process and help to achieve uniformity and reproducibility in biospecimen and data collection, handling, processing and storage over an extended period of time.
The NSW Health Statewide Biobank (NSWHSB) has created 27 templates for SOPs that are available for use, covering a range of biobank activities.
The aim of these templates is to:
- save biobanks and biospecimen researchers time
- provide guidance and expertise
- offer a valuable and accessible resource to be used when drafting or revising Biobank SOPs, and
- ensure biobank SOPs are consistent with national standards and ISBER Best Practices.
Our SOP templates have undergone extensive review from a variety of subject matter experts. Please direct all feedback and enquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How to use the SOP templates
The templates are not intended to be used as active SOPs in their current form and biobank staff and biospecimen researchers will need to edit, delete and add information as appropriate for your biobank or project.
Each SOP includes topics with examples and some of these will not necessarily be appropriate for your Biobank. Please note that the NSW Health Statewide Biobank does not endorse any listed products, which are provided as examples only.
Complementary resources include:
- Canadian Tissue Repository Network (CTRNet) SOPs
- Biospecimen Research Database (BRD) from the National Cancer Institute (NCI) USA where you can search SOPs uploaded by Biobanks around the world
Our Australian SOPs contain references to Required Operational Practices (ROPs). These have been developed by NSWHSB, in conjunction with CTRNet and are available as part of the NSW Biobank Certification Program, which offers free registration.